Note: This Privacy Statement was last updated on December 5, 2017 to clarify how we collect and use your Personal information, including our use of browsing analytics, and how we will notify you about changes to this Privacy Statement.
Effective Date: December 5, 2017
This Privacy Statement applies to the handling of your Personal Information in connection with all services and websites (when we refer to “websites” that includes our desktop websites, mobile websites and apps) offered by Happy Studio, Inc., dba Makr, a Staples company (“we”, “us” or “our”)).
This Privacy Statement describes:
- Why we collect Personal Information
- What Personal Information we collect and when it is collected
- How your Personal Information is used and protected
- When and with whom your Personal Information is shared
- How to contact us with questions or comments
Information We Collect. This Privacy Statement applies to Personal Information, which is information that we collect from you and other third parties that specifically identifies you as an individual. We may collect your Personal Information when you:
- Place an order
- Create an account
- Inquire about our products or services or contact customer service
- Sign up for our email, text-message updates or other promotional materials
- Enter our promotions, contests, and sweepstakes
- Are referred to us through a marketing promotion
- Participate in a marketing survey, promotion or event
Personal Information that we collect from you may include:
- Telephone number
- Fax number
- Email address
- Transaction information
- Credit card, debit card or checking account information
We may also collect other information, including browsing activity on our websites, activity in response to emails, location information, and aggregated or statistical information regarding use of our websites to improve site performance, product offerings, and promotions and targeted advertising. If you do not want to receive targeted advertising from us, please see the “Cookies” section below. If you do not want to receive email or other mail from us, please see the “Choices” section below. In order to provide you with a better shopping experience and to improve the quality of our services, we may combine Personal Information you submit under your account with other information that we may receive from you, from third parties or with other public information. We maintain this information, along with a record of your purchases, in restricted databases. We do not knowingly collect Personal Information from children younger than 13.
How We Use the Information We Collect. We strive to make your shopping experience easy and convenient, from your initial search for products and services through the delivery of your requested items. The information we collect helps us meet this goal by allowing us to:
- Customize your shopping experience and identify your preferences
- Confirm, process, fulfill, and track your orders
- Respond to your customer service inquiries or requests
- Inform you of special values and featured items
- Send you promotional offers we believe will be of interest to you
- Send you email and postal mail marketing communications and serve you targeted advertising
- Send you email and text-message updates
- Inform you of recalls or other information on products you have purchased
- Prevent or mitigate fraud and credit risk
- Administer promotions, contests, and sweepstakes
- Improve our merchandise selection, websites, and customer service
- Comply with applicable legal demands, laws and regulations
California Residents – Notice of Disclosure. California law gives California residents the right to request a notice describing the categories of Personal Information we share with affiliated companies or other parties for their direct marketing purposes. The notice we give California residents under California Civil Code sections 1798.83–1798.84 identifies the categories of Personal Information we share with affiliated companies or others for their direct marketing purposes. The notice includes the names and addresses of those affiliated companies or others. If you are a California resident and would like a copy of this notice, please email:
email@example.com of; or write to: 195 Montague St. 14th floor Brooklyn, NY 11201.
Use of “Cookies.” Cookies are pieces of information that are transferred from websites to your computer’s hard drive and they may serve a variety of purposes (web beacons, Flash cookies and other similar technologies may also be used for these purposes). For example, cookies “remember” you when you return to our websites and make your experience more user-friendly. Cookies help us identify which web pages are visited and how often and evaluate how our websites are used to improve our services.
Cookies also enable us and third parties to market products and services and deliver targeted advertising to you. You can opt-out of receiving personalized ads from third party advertisers and ad networks who are members of the Digital Advertising Alliance or the Network Advertising Initiative by visiting their opt-out pages. You can access these opt-out pages by visiting the Digital Advertising Alliance at http://optout.aboutads.info/#!/ and the Network Advertising Alliance at http://optout.networkadvertising.org/#!/. You can also opt-out of Google Analytics tracking by visiting https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout. If you are in the EU, you can locate the EDAA opt-out page here: http://youronlinechoices.eu. If your browsers are configured to reject cookies when you visit these pages, or if you subsequently erase your cookies, use a different device or change web browsers, your opt-out may become ineffective and may need to be repeated. Browser settings, including do not track signals and other mechanisms, will not affect data collection and not constitute an opt-out of advertising-related cookies, personalized third-party advertising or promotional messages from us; you must use the opt-out choices described herein in order to opt out from such promotional messages. As a reminder, cookie-based opt-outs are specific to the device and browser you are using at the time of opt-out. Please repeat these methods on every device you would like to exclude including tablets or mobile devices.
Your Choices Regarding Promotional Messages. You may decide to opt out of receiving promotional email, postal mail, text, and other promotional messages from us. To do so, please notify us by one of the following means:
- Follow the “unsubscribe” link on any promotional email;
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us what marketing programs you want to opt-out of; or
- Write to us at Makr, 195 Montague St. 14th floor Brooklyn, NY 11201 (please note that an opt-out request sent by postal mail may take at least 60 days to become effective).
Once we have processed your request, you may continue to receive messages or postal mail from affiliated companies and others if they received your email, mobile number or postal address from us previously, from sources other than us or through their own transactions or communications with you. You will also continue to receive promotional messages if you later request to hear from us again.
Information Sharing. We may share your Personal Information with third parties in the following instances:
- We may provide your Personal Information to third parties to process this information on our behalf. We require that these parties agree to process this information based on our instructions and requirements consistent with this Privacy Statement.
- We may disclose your Personal Information to: (a) satisfy applicable law, regulations, legal process or valid governmental request; (b) enforce applicable Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations of Terms of Service; (c) detect, prevent or mitigate fraud or security or technical issues; or (d) protect against imminent harm to the rights, property or safety of us, our customers or the public as required or permitted by law.
- We may disclose your Personal Information to third parties to market products and services that may be of interest to you. We do not share credit card or other financial information for marketing purposes.
- We may disclose Personal Information to third parties in connection with a merger, acquisition or sale (including any transfers made as part of insolvency or bankruptcy proceedings) involving us or our affiliated companies or as part of a corporate reorganization, stock or asset sale, or other change in corporate control.
- We may also disclose to third parties aggregated or other information that does not identify you individually, such as how many customers viewed a particular product or web page, to conduct website analytics or to serve you targeted advertising.
Third-Party Websites. Our websites may contain links to, or plugins or widgets from, social media or other sites operated and maintained by third parties, over which we have no control. Privacy practices on such sites may be different from our Privacy Statement. Similarly, our websites may be accessed and used from third-party sites that we do not control. We encourage you to consult the privacy policies that govern such sites before using them.
Information Security. We employ technical, physical and administrative safeguards to protect your Personal Information, and require third parties with whom we work to do the same. However, we cannot promise your information will be completely safe against unauthorized access. When you enter Personal Information that contains a Social Security Number, driver’s license number or credit or debit card number at the designated and secured sections of our websites, the site encrypts or encodes the information when sending it over the Internet. Personal Information that we collect and maintain is subject to physical, administrative, and technical controls that are consistent with recognized industry standards. We process Personal Information on our servers in the United States and in other countries. In some cases, we may process your Personal Information on a server outside your own country in accordance with this Privacy Statement and applicable law.
Avoiding Identity Theft. If you think someone has improperly accessed or used your Personal Information supplied to us or made unauthorized purchases from us using your Personal Information, please contact us immediately. Consider taking the following steps to protect yourself against fraud and identity theft:
- Review your account statements regularly. Carefully review your bank, credit card, and other account statements every month to ensure that all of your account activity is valid. Report any questionable charges promptly and in writing to the card or account issuer.
- Review your credit report from time to time. Obtain and review your credit report periodically to ensure that all your information is correct. You can obtain a free credit report once per year by visiting //www.annualcreditreport.com or by calling 877-322-8228 FREE.
- Carefully reviewing your credit report can help you spot problems and address them quickly. If you have any questions about your credit report or notice any inaccuracies, contact the relevant consumer reporting agency promptly at the telephone number listed on the report.
- Create a fraud alert. Consider placing a fraud alert on your credit file. The fraud alert prompts creditors to contact you before opening any new accounts or increasing credit limits on your existing accounts. You can place a fraud alert on your credit file by contacting one of three consumer reporting agencies listed below. You need to contact only one of the three agencies in order to create the alert; the agency you contact is required by law to contact the other two. You will receive confirmation letters in the mail and then will be able to order a credit report from each of the three agencies, free of charge. The fraud alert will remain in your credit file for at least 90 days.
P.O. Box 740241
Atlanta, GA 30374
P.O. Box 9532
Allen, TX 75013
P.O. Box 6790
Fullerton, CA 92834
For more guidance on steps you can take to protect your information and credit, contact the U.S. Federal Trade Commission by email at //www.consumer.ftc.gov/features/feature-0014-identity-theft or by telephone at 877-ID-THEFT (877-438-4338 FREE), or write to the Commission at:
Identity Theft Clearinghouse
Federal Trade Commission
600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, D.C. 20580
Changes to Your Personal Information. To help ensure that the Personal Information we store and process is accurate, complete and current, please contact us with changes to your Personal Information by one of the means described in the “Your Choices Regarding Promotional Messages” section above. Unless otherwise required by law or for legitimate business purposes, we will make good-faith efforts to correct your Personal Information when you notify us of an error or a change. To prevent unauthorized changes, we ask individual customers to positively identify themselves before we process such requests. We reserve the right to charge a small fee to process any request to update, correct or delete Personal Information. We also may decline to process certain requests that require a disproportionate technical or practical cost or effort or that could jeopardize the privacy of others or infringe upon our rights or property.
How to Contact Us with Questions or Comments. Please direct any questions or concerns regarding this Privacy Statement or our treatment of Personal Information to us by emailing:
email@example.com of, or writing to: Makr,195 Montague St. 14th floor Brooklyn, NY 11201. Upon receiving a written complaint from a customer, we contact the customer directly. We will investigate your complaint promptly and diligently to address your concerns and to resolve any dispute quickly. We regularly review our compliance with this Privacy Statement.
Privacy Statement Updates. This Privacy Statement may change from time to time, and we will post on our websites any updated Privacy Statement. Recent changes to the Privacy Statement are documented below. Each version of this Privacy Statement will be identified by its effective date displayed at the top of this Privacy Statement.
What has changed:
|December 5, 2017||Updated to clarify how we collect and use Personal information (including our use of browsing analytics), and how we note changes to this Privacy Statement.|